Thursday 13 March 2014

February Goals (quite late indeed!)

February Goals 
I know I am quite late with this post. I was even debating doing it, buuuut, my coach Sharon gave me a gentle kick in the butt and now, here I am.  You can thank her.

My goals for February were:
 1. Improve on the bike
2. Swim 2500m.

I am happy to report I am still currently working on number 1. I hate to admit this, but I am enjoying the hard work, the sore muscles, and the extra time watching Netflix while I ride my bike (I have finished a whole season of Call the Midwife!).  I don't think I can quite say I am in love with the bike, but I have developed a better relationship with it.  I feel like I have that on and off again kind of relationship that the Biebs and Selena Gomez have.  But thanks to my Sharon, I have been working at it and sticking to it and now and then kiiiiinda looking forward to it. I plan to make this a long term goal and eventually get comfortable enough that I sign up for an Olympic distance tri. 

My second goal was to swim 2500m.  I knew this was achievable for me, as I have done 2400m many times, but I wanted to be able to say I have swam 100 laps - and NOW I CAN!  I was scheduled to do it last week, but the timing didn't work out, so I got up early on Sunday and headed to the pool. I knew it would be a quiet day with the time change and hoped I could get a lane to myself. I hopped in the pool and quickly started in on my warm up.  As I was swimming, I realized that my warm up was longer than my entire first swim workouts over a year ago. It made me realize how far I had come with my swimming and also how much I love it. There are a few things in life that I really truly look forward to doing and swimming is definitely one of them. I love the absolute quiet, the calming rhythm, and the burning muscles and lungs.  It's a happy place for me and I am constantly trying to make my swimming better.  It's my meditation. After my warm up, I had a good mix of drills (puke!), fast 25s, and longer sets to keep me motivated and engaged! I had a great flow the entire swim and as it neared to an end, I felt like I  I could have swam forever. In hindsight,  I'm sure that was the adrenaline kicking it rather than logic.  It's a little like making those bad decisions after too many tequila shots, so I didn't attempt to push it and I finished the swim as prescribed. I hopped out of the pool and as I walked towards the change room I felt like I was walking with a little extra swing in my step. I felt like I had joined some new exclusive club and I am so proud to be a member!

I will post my new goals soon!  Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Wow that's great about the swimming! We have a 25m pool here. I like to swim 500m when I make it to the pool. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! Swimming is definitely exhausting, but I love the results :)

      Delete
  2. Nice job on meeting your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete